Last Updated: May 24th 2018
At Coshape, we have a few fundamental principles regarding your privacy:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
What This Policy Covers
- Our websites (including coshape.com, coshape.io, coshape.is, furniture.coshape.com, metal.coshape.com, windows.coshape.com,...);
- Our mobile applications;
- Our other products and services that are available on or through our websites; and
- Other users’ websites that use our Services, while you are logged in to your account with us.
And if you’d like to learn more about which Coshape company is the controller of information about you, take a look at the section below on Controllers and Responsible Companies.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We get information about you in a range of ways.
Information You Give Us.
We collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number, username, password, demographic information (such as your occupation) as well as other information you directly give us on our Site.
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a coshape.io account to provide a username and email address. You may provide us with more information–like your name–but we don’t require that information to create a coshape.io account.
- Public Profile Information: If you have an account with us, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile. For example, if you have a coshape.io account, your username is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, such as a photo or an “About Me” description. Your public profile information is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us–a subscription to a Coshape plan, or a premium service, for example–you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Site Information: If you use our customizer Services to sell products or services to others through your site, you will have to create a Coshape account or connect an existing account and, for some of our customizer Services, provide your site URL. You may also provide us with information about your financial account to set up a payments integration, such as the email address for your Stripe or PayPal account or your bank account information.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in draft and published content (such as for your website). For example, if you write a blog post that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet if you choose to publish the post publicly. This might be obvious to you… but it’s not to everyone!
- Credentials: Depending on the Services you use, you may provide us with credentials for your website (like SSH, FTP, and SFTP username and password). For example, some users may provide us with these credentials in order to allow us to troubleshoot problems on your site more quickly.
- Communications With Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our Happiness Engineers about a support question, or post a question about your site in our public forums.
Information Automatically Collected.
We automatically log information about you and your computer. For example, when visiting our Site, we log your computer operating system type, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing to our Site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our Site.
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you create or make changes to your account on coshape.io.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site using our Coshape services–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, support document searches, features enabled for your website, and other parts of our Services) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
- Stored Information: We may access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile app. We access this stored information through your device operating system’s permissions. For example, if you give us permission to access the photographs on your mobile device’s camera roll, our Services may access the photos stored on your device when you upload a really amazing photograph of the sunrise to your website.
- Interactions with Other Users’ Sites: We collect some information about your interactions with other users’ sites while you are logged in to your account with us, such as your “Likes” and the fact that you commented on a particular post, so that we can, for example, recommend posts we think may interest you.
We may log information using "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a website. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site. This type of information is collected to make the Site more useful to you and to tailor the experience with us to meet your special interests and needs.
Information We Get From Others.
We may get information about you from other sources. We may add this to information we get from this Site.
Information we may get about you from other sources are, for example, if you create or log into your Coshape account through another service (like Google) or if you connect your website or account to a social media service (like Twitter), we will receive information from that service (such as your username, basic profile information, and friends list) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
We may also get information, such as a mailing address, from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes like postcards and other mailers advertising our services.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Purposes for Using Information
We use your personal information as mentioned above and as follows:
- We use your personal information to provide our Services. To send information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages–for example, to set up, operate, and maintain your account, host your services, backup and restore your services, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their websites more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- We use your personal information to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity. To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Coshape and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- We use your personal information to communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers, upcoming events, and promotions offered by Coshape and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Coshape and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those who have a particular plan with us or have been our user for a certain length of time), and serve relevant advertisements.
- We use your personal information to respond to comments and questions and provide customer service.
- We use your personal information to provide and deliver products and services customers request.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- (1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- (2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- (3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- (4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
- (5) You have given us your consent–for example before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on, as described in our Cookie Statement.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We may share personal information as follows:
- We may share personal information for legal, protection, and safety purposes.
- We may share information to comply with laws.
- We may share information to respond to lawful requests and legal processes. Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request. For more information on how we respond to requests for information about Coshape users, please ask.
- We may share information in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
- We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- We may share and disclose personal information with your consent or at your direction. For example, you may let us share personal information with others for their own marketing uses. Or, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the social media services that you connect to your customizer through our features. Those uses will be subject to their privacy policies.
- We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized data with others for their own uses. We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Other Coshape Users: If you have a Coshape account and leave a comment on a site that uses our Services, your IP address and the email address associated with your Coshape account may be shared with the administrator(s) of the site where you left the comment.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly.
That means, of course, that information like your public profile, posts, other content that you make public on your website, and your “Likes” and comments on other websites, are all available to others–and we hope you get a lot of views!
For example, the photo that you upload to your public profile, or a default image if you haven’t uploaded one, along with other public profile information, will display with the comments and “Likes” that you make on other users’ websites while logged in to your Coshape account. Your public profile information may also display with your comments, “Likes,” and other interactions on websites that use our Services, especially if the email address associated with your account with us is the same as the email address that you use on the other website.
We also provide a stream of public data (like posts and comments) from sites that use our Services to provide that data to subscribers, who may view and analyze the content, but do not have rights to re-publish it, publicly.
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Coshape’s websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system. We retain the logs in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Coshape’s websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
As another example, when you delete a post, page, or comment from your backend site, it stays in your Trash folder just in case you change your mind and would like restore that content–because starting again from scratch is no fun, at all. Deleted content may remain on our backups and caches until purged.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
To enhance the security of your account, we encourage you to use and enable advanced security settings.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services–for example, paid, premium–may not be accessible.
- Limit Access to Information On Your Mobile Device: Your mobile device operating system should provide you with the ability to discontinue our ability to collect stored information or location information via our mobile apps. If you do so, you may not be able to use certain features (like adding a location to a photograph, for example).
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Our marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.” If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your accounts and our business dealings with you, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Coshape does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our Site works for you and that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our Services :( :( :( :(, you can close your Coshape account. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above–for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
You may send requests about personal information to our Contact Information below. You can request to change contact choices, opt-out of our sharing with others, and update your personal information.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and Responsible Companies
Coshape’s Services are for North-America. Different Coshape companies may be the controller (or co-controller) of personal information in the future, which means that they are the company responsible for processing that information, based on the particular service and the location of the individual using our Services.
Depending on the Services you use, more than one company may be the controller of your personal data. Generally, the “controller” is the Coshape company that entered into the contract with you under the Terms of Service for the the product or service you use. In addition, Coshape Inc., our US-based company, is the controller for some of the processing activities across all of our Services.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Third Party Software
If you’d like to use third party plugins, extensions that enable services provided by third parties, or other third party software, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself (or your site visitors) to those third parties. We don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information, which you should review.
Visitors to Our Users’ Websites
That’s it! Thanks for reading.